Designed by Veethemes.com

Clever ways with Hexies

I managed to avoid getting carried away with succulents.  I happily ignored the need for a geometric glass plant holder.  I even managed not to get an origami tattoo (oh, hang on...).  But I can't get away from triangles!  Or maybe to be more accurate - hexagons.  The hexie is a long established part of the crocheters repertoire, deftly patched together to make beautiful blankets and home wares.  Being a bit traditional, I was never really drawn to it, but during the most recent book I was very kindly gifted a pattern by the lovely Loes (@pomenco, go find her on instagram).  It was a quick way to make a 3d hexie, using colour changing.


Since then I have literally been hooked, and it keeps sparking all sorts of ides about how to use a traditional motif in a contemporary way.  Playing with colour and chopping and changing is really effective, and as long as you work over the ends as you go, is a quick way of creating something graphic and dramatic.

For now here are some geometric makes, and when I get a minute, I'll do a how to on the colour change hexie.  Oh, and the new wall in my craft room, which I am all sorts of in love with!







It's not a hexie, but it IS an origami fox tattoo ;)  

And with a triangle template, some tester pots and an afternoon, this is what happened to my wall...

2 comments:

  1. I am dying to get this three color hexigon pattern. Think it will be great for my friend's baby blanket I'm going to make for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ever wanted to get free Twitter Re-tweets?
    Did you know that you can get them AUTOMATICALLY & ABSOLUTELY FOR FREE by getting an account on Like 4 Like?

    ReplyDelete