Designed by Veethemes.com

Rule of Thumb

Hi Chaps, today I thought I'd share a very simple but super effective upcycle.  The British Heart Foundation have launched #thebigstitch for July, which is a social media thang for everyone to share ways that they customise and create new things from preloved stuff.  It's a great way to donate money to charity and pick-up something that you can get confident with the scissors on.

It's also one of my favourite ways to spend a hot summer evening.  Needle and thread, cool breeze under the tea lights, perfect.

This is called a 'rule of thumb' make as I'm not a great one for measuring and being very precise.  I tend to use my thumb as a guide for the length of the stitches I'm making, where I put my needle, that sort of thing.  It's something my Dad taught me when I was young and I've just always done.




You will need:

1 x jumper/sweatshirt
Sharp scissors
Matching needle and thread
Some embroidery threads
Embroidery Needle

Step 1
Cut the sleeves off just above the elbows

Roll the cut edge over a couple of times and stitch in place at the top and bottom.

Step 2
Pick a colour and make some very simple, vertical stitches around the neckline.

Pick another colour, and now here are some 'v' stitches.


How about some cross stitches in the next colour?


And then keep playing with whatever feels right.

Don't be afraid to pull out anything that you don't like, I re-did my blue row 3 times before I was happy with it.  There are no right and wrongs with this kind of make, it's really about the pleasure of experimenting and building up your confidence.


25 comments:

  1. Rathi's Eurotherm Color Coated Roofing Sheets for perfact homes which is colorful and stylish as you want it to be

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for excellent article.You made an article that is interesting.
    AWS Solutions Architect courses in Bangalore with certifications.
    https://onlineidealab.com/aws-training-in-bangalore/

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's really nice and meanful. it's really cool blog. Linking is very useful thing.you have really helped lots of people who visit blog and provide them usefull information.
    business analytics course

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terrific post thoroughly enjoyed reading the blog and more over found to be the tremendous one.

    Java Training in Chennai

    Java Course in Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been searching for such an informative publication for many days, and it seems that my search here has just ended. Good job. Continue publishing.
    Steel Fabricators in UAE | Steel Fabrication Companies in UAE

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Article, Thanks for the nice & valuable information. Here I have a suggestion that if your looking for the Best Digital Marketing Institute in Rohini Then Join the 99 Digital Academy. 99 Digital Academy offers an affordable Digital Marketing Course in Rohini. Enroll Today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First You got a great blog .I will be interested in more similar topics. i see you got really very useful topics, i will be always checking your blog thanks.
    business analytics course

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tips and very easy to understand. This will definitely be very useful for me when I get a chance to start my blog.
    full stack developer course

    ReplyDelete
  9. 360DigiTMG, the top-rated organisation among the most prestigious industries around the world, is an educational destination for those looking to pursue their dreams around the globe. The company is changing careers of many people through constant improvement, 360DigiTMG provides an outstanding learning experience and distinguishes itself from the pack. 360DigiTMG is a prominent global presence by offering world-class training. Its main office is in India and subsidiaries across Malaysia, USA, East Asia, Australia, Uk, Netherlands, and the Middle East.

    ReplyDelete
  10. quite fine broadcast. I simply stumbled upon your blog and desired to pronounce that i've in reality loved surfing your blog posts. After each ill be subscribing for your feed and i reason you write behind extra quickly! Hotspot Shield Elite Crack

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for this post. It proves very informative for me. Great post to read. Visit my website to get best Information About Best IAS Coaching Institute in Dadar.
    Best IAS Coaching Institute in Dadar
    Top IAS Coaching Institute in Dadar

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for this post. Really very informative and creative contents. Visit my website to get best Information About
    Best IAS Coaching Institute in Dadar.
    Best IAS Coaching Institute in Dadar
    Top IAS Coaching Institute in Dadar

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is an awesome post. Really very informative and creative contents. Visit my website to get best Information About Best Interior Designers in Delhi.
    Interior Designers in Delhi
    Interior Designers in Gurgaon

    ReplyDelete


  14. Great Information and I find it truly helpful. Thanks for Sharing. Best IAS coaching Institute in Mumbai
    Top UPSC Coaching in Mumbai
    Best IAS Coaching in Mumbai

    ReplyDelete
  15. I want to express my gratitude for taking the time and effort to write this post. I'm hoping you'll keep producing your very finest work in the future as well.
    Testinh Tools course In Hyderabad

    ReplyDelete
  16. Excellent Blog Thank you..

    ELearn Infotech offers Java Training in Hyderabad by Industry Experts. Our realtime Java Course includes from Basic to Advanced Level concepts. We have designed our Java course content based on students Requirement to Achieve their Goal. We offer both Java classroom training in Hyderabad and Java online training with real-time projects. We are one of the leading Java Training Institutes in Hyderabad.

    ReplyDelete